Friday, May 27, 2011

Cake Baking - Flower Nail Method!!!

So, as I am sitting here browsing for new techniques to try and new things, I came across this method! I know that I sometimes have that dreaded "dome" on top of my cakes and I have to either cut it off or flatten it. This flower nail method seems like it would be worth trying :)


step_3a_982
Just a quick demo to show what the flower nail method looks like. This method is an alternative to using “bake even strips” for a cake that requires less to no leveling after baking.
Hope this is helpful.
step1
1. Spray flower nail with non-stick spray
step2
2. Place nail in the center of pan, touching the  bottom. Bake as usual
step3
3.  Remove from oven. Cover top with cake board or sheet pan and flip entire cake pan over
step_4_393
4. after flipping over the cake pan, nail pops out making it easy to remove.

6 comments:

  1. Let me know how that works out. I have one of those flower nail things....would have to get more for when baking 3 layers at the time though. Wonder if it will work for 9 x 13 too? Those sometimes dome up on me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know lol I am going to use it this coming week for another cake I am doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting trick. Can't wait to hear if it works. I'd like to know if it work with a rectangular cake as well.

    Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef I am doing a round and a square cake this week so I will let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so this morning as I am baking cake layers I decide to try this method! ~~ Results ~~ I think I put more batter in the pan than I needed to and it covered the nail, still had a dome but the nail did pop out when I turned it over LOL trying again with the next layers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. ;) Lesson learned. :D

    ReplyDelete